Tie a Yellow Ribbon Around the Old Oak Tree

I had never been to Basking Ridge before last year. I have gone twice since finding out about the Farmstead Arts Center. A couple of weeks after my mom passed away, I was looking up my maiden name. I learned about my father's ancestors from my mom, and I knew his ancestors had a long history in New Jersey. The original Stelle arrived in New York from France in the 1600's. I have a copy of a family tree given to my father. The history is interesting and well documented. When my search brought me to the Farmstead Arts Center, it was comforting to think of something to look forward to. In October I went there and was offered Studio space to rent. It was a way to look forward to diving into my art. But, I am really not ready or organized, yet. The property is beautiful with a large Magnolia tree. I would love to paint the tree in full bloom. And, the studio featured a window overlooking the tree. I was impressed with the beauty of Basking Ridge. So, on Sunday I had the illustrated map out of New Jersey and decided to start organizing some day trips. I decided to visit the two 500 year plus oak trees. I ended up watching some you tube videos, because they both had made the news in the last five years. After watching the videos there is no point in visiting either. But, the lessons learned is nothing lasts forever. Life can go on with new birth. So, it was interesting to see how much attention was paid to these trees and a plan to keep their memory alive by planting a new one. With the birth of my first grandchild in November and the passing of my mom in late February it was hard emotionally, of course. But, the comfort of life going on and new memories to be created has been a blessing. Here are some you tube videos about the Oak Tree in Basking Ridge: Arms of an Old Oak Tree The full circle CBS News coverage Quote of the Day: I can see in the acorn the oak tree. I see the growth, the rebuilding, the restoring. I see that is the American psyche. There is so much we can draw understanding from. One of the lessons is the development of courage. Because without courage, you can't practice any of the other virtues consistently. Maya Angelou Song of the Day: Tie a Yellow Ribbon 'round the ole old Oak Tree sung Tony Orlando a fond memory is seeing Tony Orlando sing this song in person with my mom in Atlantic City

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A new dawn.....a new day

Two Hearts Are Better Then One

My World in Blue and White Project