Bloom Where You Are Planted

This is the project for advertising design I spoke of earlier in a post. It was done in goauche paints for an assignment to brand myself. I was thirty years old, which meant it was half my life ago. If you look in my hair, you will see there are two birds with their beaks meeting at the part of my hair. This was because even as I was doing a self portrait, I was married, I was still thinking of myself with two people in my mind. But, you can see the color of choice thirty years ago was blue and white. When I was interviewed for becoming a Resident Advisor in college, I was asked what my favorite color was and why. Phew....an easy question. Most were much harder. It was easy for me to say blue and the why was oh so easy. I remember saying it's the color of the sky on a sunny day, the ocean, the color of the teams at St. Catharines and Manasquan High School. All of the best things in my life are blue. What I love most is that hasn't changed in all those years, I would still give the same answer. I am on day 10 of the 100 day project and subject matter is coming very easy. It is a challenge and becomes more difficult, as I am sure life will get in the way. This morning I was thinking of what to write here today. And I wanted to get back to my four year old self for a bit. I loved that age, because it gave me the most time with my mom. My dad was working, and my brother and sister were at school all day. There was nothing better at that age then a box of brand new crayons and a white piece of paper. I would always draw houses with red tulips, big bright sun and a blue sky with a few clouds. My project today is one of my favorites so far and it says Bloom Where You are Planted. And, in reading about it today, it is sort of biblical and has references to slavery. But, as a four year old it had to do with not having any freedom yet. Each day was totally out of your control. You were taken care of. You were fed, bathed, watched what someone else put on TV, and put to bed. I remember filling many coloring books up by coloring the pages and then drawing on the insides of the cover. I remember colorforms! My favorite was the romper room weather girl. And, you would dress the girl in raincoats or bathing suits depending on the the weather. It was the most carefree time of my life. So, just thinking a bit about freedom and being carefree. And, what we control and what we can't control. I guess what I am trying to say is sometimes you have to adjust your sails to be happy where you are. Life may not always present the best circustances, but it is how you grow from them that makes a difference. Quote of the day: “And the Day Came When the Risk to Remain Tight In a Bud Was More Painful Than the Risk It Took to Blossom.” – Anais Nin. Song of the day: Flowers in My Hair The Lumineers

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A new dawn.....a new day

Two Hearts Are Better Then One

My World in Blue and White Project