September Roses

Yesterday I bought this original oil painting signed Loretta for a dollar. It was at the Spring Lake Historical Society's Attic Sale. I really wanted a locker door from the South End Pavilion, but they were sold out. When I asked how much the painting was , I was so surprised it was just a dollar. But, she started telling me about the artist and that she lived on Atlantic Avenue. I grabbed a piece of paper to write this down as fast as I could. I was secretly hoping she lived near me and then she said it. She lived on Atlantic and fifth. The lady next to me said to me in a lovely British Accent: "You have to write all this down." I looked up and said "I am". "No, you have to tell your story, you are a wealth of information",she said. I was pretty excited about the fact she was living in the house only a block away from where I grew up. I went on to tell about the Printing Press that was on my block, too. But, I smiled a big smile (beneath my mask). I just started getting emails and joined a facebook group about telling your story in the second half of your life. Pretty ironic, right? The name of the link is: In Story Show href="https://instoryshow.com/"> if you are interested. I had already been thinking about what an imagination I had as a little girl, and how I had so much around me to spark my imagination. I am only into watching about 3 videos of 20 Professionals of story telling. They talked about how we all lose our imaginations when we are 9. And, in high school we start to compare ourselves to others. And, most important we expect our drawings to look real and actually stop because they don't. I thought this was all really interesting. I am so glad I went to school for Art when did, as I approached the age of thirty. We didn't really talk about any of this. But, I think capturing the spirit of your young self is really important to be a true artist. I am really thankful I have been working in Spring Lake for the last four years. It has helped me feel really grateful for growing up there. I am also thankful for Spring Lake Historical Society for keeping memories alive. The artist's name is Lorettta Hughes and her obituary in the New York Times showed she was born in 1901 and lived in Spring Lake with her sister until she died at the age of 98 on January 1st, 2000. She died on the day of the Millenium. Quote of the day: - Abraham Lincoln - We Can Complain Because Rose Bushes Have Thorns, or Rejoice Because Thorn Bushes Have Roses. Song of the Day: Earth Wind and Fire September https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs069dndIYk

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A new dawn.....a new day

Two Hearts Are Better Then One

My World in Blue and White Project