Virtual Visit to the Baltimore Museum of Art

Saving the best for last!  Last night I went to the Baltimore Museum of Art's page.  And, LOOK!  my mom is featured on their homepage.  She is the black and white picture on the far left.  I had heard the picture went out on emails, but I didn't expect it in the home page.  What an honor and tribute!  Under the header:  Celebrate the Creative Women in Your Life!
The Baltimore Museum holds a special place in my heart.  I had always wanted to get there.  I knew they had a pretty big collection of Matisse.  Matisse was my inspiration in school.  I did the most papers on him.  And, when asked to do a project with an Artist as an inspiration I always used him.  I have paintings, a sculpture and a batik blue and white fabric all made with him as an inspiration.
When I visited the first time, I couldn't believe the collection.  And, the story of the Cone Sisters who were friends with him and collected his work is remarkable.
I was so happy for Kaylyn when she started working there.  Then, when she met her inspiration, I was blown away.  Mickalene Thomas has taken over the facade and lobby.  The staff at front desk actually wear clothes inspired from her works.  It opened last November and will be there until May of next year.  Because of the pandemic, it has been extended.
 This is how the front of the Museum looks at the Main Entrance.  It is made to look like you are entering a home in Baltimore.  On top is a gallery designed by Mickalene.  And, you enter on the second level after seeing a living room designed by her.
I loved this, and all I could think was I would have never known about this if it wasn't for Kaylyn.  I had seen three different exhibits with her, and now I actually get to sit in a chair designed by Mickalene.  I loved the idea of her picking out Contemporary Artist's work, pictured above me, is displayed in the gallery.  A special movie is also played, giving Artist's exposure and getting to know who they are and how Baltimore life inspired them.  
The future is bright for the Baltimore Museum of Art.  They have begun to house an educational wing to house their huge amount of resources about Matisse.  They have been closed for awhile for the pandemic and have always been a museum which is free to the public.  It is my favorite Museum, and feels more and more like home the more I visit.  I have gotten to know people, who work there.  That is not an experience I have had before.  That really does make it extra special.


Mickalene Thomas




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A new dawn.....a new day

Two Hearts Are Better Then One

My World in Blue and White Project