Sweet Serendipity and Me

One of my favorite jobs was when I worked for Nancy Petracco at Crabtree and Evelyn on Third Avenue in Spring Lake.  I would visit probably once a week, even when I wasn't working.  I really wanted what she had.  I wanted to open a store one day.  I also wanted to make a living in some way in the Arts.  But, to me that really was a far fetched dream.  But, along the way I have met and ended up working with some of my most favorite Artists.
After Brielle Galleries closed, I got a call from Nancy asking me if I was looking for work.  She had a rep in her store that represented companies she thought I would really like.  She put him on the phone and by the end of the day I had an interview in New York City.  My interview was two blocks from the train station.  It was a long interview and it sounded too good to be true.  For, the first time I told someone I had to think about it.  I came home and after talking over it with Glen and the kids, everyone was really excited for me.  
So, I took the job and ended up representing companies like Andrew Mckneel, Workman Publishing, Manhattan toys.  It was 20 toy companies and 20 stationery lines.  To say I loved this job was putting it mildly.  I would receive samples daily from UPS of the 40 different lines  to bring to store owners.  My children were 8 at the time and sometimes I would get toys that could never have been found in stores.
I have this stupid guilt thing, about taking a lot for personal use.  But, on the actual day of my 40th birthday I received a box from All Night Media.  It had a letter that wrote everything in the box was for me.  It had rubber stamps, stamp pad, an embossing gun and embossing powder.  It was everything that a 40 year old me could ever want.  
I saw an ad for Mary Engelbriet was coming to FAO Schwartz in NYC.  It was still around my birthday.  I took Kaylyn with me.  We stood in a long line.  I had brought a book with me, that I had received as a sample.  But, you had to buy a doll to get it signed.  So, I bought the doll and Kaylyn colored a picture.  Kaylyn gave her the picture and thanked Mary for inspiring her to be an Artist.  After that we walked to Serendipity to have a frozen hot chocolate.  I was so proud of myself.  I love the city, but am pretty fearful of navigating it myself.  I did underestimate how far a walk it was, but we did it!  
Kaylyn asked if she could have the doll.  The doll was expensive.  So, I told her she could have her as long as she was careful with her.  I am listing the doll on ebay today, so that is why I am thinking about it so much.  
But, anyway I am so thankful for all this time of thinking and writing during the pandemic.  It truly has made me so grateful to be able to really appreciate all the goodness in my life.  And, the feeling of holding on and letting go is hard.  Especially, when it comes to all of my "stuff".  
But, writing it down makes it all seem real and not the need to keep things to remember it by.  Most of the Artists I am going to list that I have met, I have signed books to remember them by.  I still can't believe my list.  And, a few I actually worked or still work for!  A few of them we keep in touch on facebook, too.  The picture above is with April Cornell.  Can't wait to get back to work in the store next week!

Quote of the day:  Sometimes life drops blessings in your lap without your lifting a finger. Serendipity, they call it.   Charlton Heston



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A new dawn.....a new day

Two Hearts Are Better Then One

My World in Blue and White Project