It's About Time!

Well, tomorrow it's time to get back to work.  I feel rested and ready.  I am still a bit emotional, but I have used this time wisely.  I achieved mostly everything I could imagine I wanted to accomplish.  When I went to New Orleans for Fat Tuesday I brought along a book.  It was called Art as Therapy by Alain de Botton.  Before the pandemic I was dealing with a lot of uncertainty.  It was a quick read for me.  As, I was blogging everyday I was coming to the realization of how I used Art already as therapy.  
I had gone to some wonderful art retreats in my life, and many of the lessons and classes I took were helpful.  One in particular was Heidi Swapp's class.  She had just given birth to her fifth child and had her baby with her.  I didn't realize until the very end of class.  It was a two page scrapbook page, and we were given a box of Paris rubber stamps in the kit.  The name of the retreat was called Creative Escape.  With each time I used the rubber stamps in class, I imagined escaping to Paris.  I also created a book I used to document my trip to Paris.  This time at home gave me a chance to revisit those creations and think how lucky I was to go to Paris and use the pages to hold my memories.
I revisited museums through the postcards and catalogues I had bought along my many travels.  I am so hard on myself for what I keep and don't throw away.  But, this was a very special time and I really appreciate the time looking back.  It made me feel fortunate.  I love the word fortunate.  Like the meaning of the word fortune, does it mean a lot of money, or like the cookie, is it what the future holds for you?
I also was able to research Artist's I had snapped photos of in museums.  https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/04/arts/design/betye-saar.htmlhttps://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/04/arts/design/betye-saar.html
I spent hours reading about Betye Saar and her work speaks volumes to me.  It is how I would like to continue my Art.  I would like to make memory boxes and include watercolors and little bits of collections like her work.  Walks on the beach with shells and feathers.  Going through my mom's boxes of little charms, miraculous medals and prayer cards.  Little rock carvings and gemstones in my dad's collection.  It gives me great pleasure.
Ten years ago I started blogging, very consciously with  the void of employment and my children going off to college.  I thought of myself as a bird and empty nester.   And, now I think of myself as a butterfly after being in a cocoon.  Each day I could be happy just going from one project to another freely and without any pressure.  
One of the reasons I concentrated on Betye Saar's work so much was I knew without reading about her she was a mother.  And, in a video I watched she asked what was the difference of being a mother and creating art?  She said there is no difference!  This rang so true to me.  But, also the healing and good feeling creating can give you is unmeasurable.  

Quote of the Day:  "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better" – Albert Einstein

Song of the Day:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSif77IVQdY  Down to the River to Pray  Allison Krause


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A new dawn.....a new day

Two Hearts Are Better Then One

My World in Blue and White Project