Keep Those Records Playing

I am so thankful for the time I had owning the store Greetings from Geralyn in Convention Hall, Asbury Park, NJ from 2011-2015. I am featuring this picture of a record album by Glen Burtnik. Glen Burtnik and a group of some local musicians could be seen walking the boardwalk many mornings during my stay at Convention Hall. I was happy to get Glen to sign one of the albums I had found in our collection of records. It has also been nice to see Glen Burtnik's appreciation of up and coming talent. One year my son Ian was asked to be in one of Glen's Christmas shows at the State theatre. It was a show full of local talent from Glen Burtnik's rich contribution to music through songwriting and still playing with his own groups (the Weeklings) and the Orchestra (with members of ELO). I want to write about vinyl records and how they had a huge influence in celebrating the good times of my life. Records contributed to an industry and how computers changed the industry. I was so tempted to end that last sentence with the words "for good". Because, it helped Artists reach the masses, but didn't help them make a living. I don't fully understand how musicians make money now from the computer. I know there are you tube subscriptions, spotify etc. As, a person who has relied on retail to make a living I am very old school. You see something you like, you pay for it, and it is yours. Again, jobs are threatened with self check out. Because, the pandemic has effected jobs with personal contact with customers. We are going through a huge shift again like we have in the forty years after the computer was introduced. We seem to be going with the flow, and that is helping us to adjust to all the changes that stream into are lives. I walked through wal-mart and there are record players galore! I saw in the news that vinyl records outsold cd's again in 2021. I saw the upswing first with our business selling records in 2011 on the boardwalk. The fun part of it was not having to organize it, and just watch as customers would just like to shuffle through all the records finding "the one". During this time I really appreciated all the stories. I am trying to have morning writings about how music infulenced my life, especially as a teenager. And, how lucky we are to have access to the same things I enjoyed then. And, I can enjoy them even more, now. I was able to see a show my son was in at the Stone Pony in December. It was LaBamaba's Big Holiday Hurrah. It was a reunion of Asbury Jukes past and present. I am featuring a video of Glen Burtnik on this post and will TRY to continue my morning writings. I just really liked this song Glen Burnik performed and I keep going back to You Tube to listen to it again. Quote of the day: “Vinyl is the real deal. I’ve always felt like, until you buy the vinyl record, you don’t really own the album. And it’s not just me or a little pet thing or some kind of retro romantic thing from the past. It is still alive.” Jack White (the lead singer and guitarist of The White Stripes) Song of the Day: Glen Burtnik Here Comes Sally

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A new dawn.....a new day

Two Hearts Are Better Then One

Greetings from Geralyn