Stop Right There

Will you love me forever? Will you never leave me? The words of Paradise by the Dashboard Light from the Bat Out of Hell Album will be with me forever. Along with the many memories that music created. I was introduced to the album by my first boyfriend. We not only dated during the times of epic music, but epic movies. I will never forget our first date, which was to see Rocky. We also saw Annie Hall and Between the Lines. Between the Lines featured the music of Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes. I was seventeen and I can't help but think I was born at the perfect time. I did get the opportunity later to see Meatloaf at the Stone Pony and Monmouth University before I had kids with my husband in the eighties. We sat way in the back when we saw him at Monmouth University. So, when he was at the Stone Pony we took every opportunity to get up close. Well, when you went to see Meatloaf, that wasn't really a good idea. He still had his long hair and sweated a lot. First, there was the fear he was going to have a heart attack and fall on top of you, as he went across the stage. Or, you were going to get splattered with sweat when he swung his hair. So, we moved swiftly back to the bar, to enjoy him from afar. His live concerts were energetic, and full of passion. And, if I remember right there was a tank of oxygen side stage if he needed it. Bat Out of Hell in 1977 was not played on the radio. But, eventually as the record sold without any airplay it could be heard on the radio in 1978. But, not ever channel was brave enough to play it. My best memories of college was the summer of 1978. I went to college after a year of going to Brookdale, locally. I was accepted for the summer on probation and I could stay if I got good grades that summer. The course load was light and it was the only semester I didn't work. I loved my classes. Every day was the same. Class, lunch, class, dinner, volleyball, and then back to the dorm for some fun. My whole wing was very close and at night we would all sit in the hall or tv room together. We all met for lunch and dinner each day, too. There was never any alone time. We did everything together. We would listen to records and it became a tradition for my friend and I to perform " Bat Out of Hell". It was a total sing along where we would all be singing. My friend and I would be prepared with our curling irons. She always sang the girl part and I sang the Meatloaf part. We knew every word and would get encouraged by our friends cheering us on. For a shy girl like me, it was my awakening. Another fun memory of the song was when I belonged to a Twin Mother's Club. There was a state convention overnight and I went once. There was a DJ and about 300 mothers of multiples. The song came on and I felt a little old among the other mothers. I was 37 and wondered if they would know the words. Well, it was a giant dance fest with everyone on the dance floor. Everyone knew every word and was singing at the top of thier lungs. It was SO much fun. I am so thankful for these memories. I am also thankful for the Artists who wrote it. Meatloaf for singing it. Members of the E Street band who played on it. And, most of all for Todd Rundgren for producing it. It is one of the ten best selling records of all time. And, I bet it will sell many copies in the weeks to come after the passing of Meatloaf. Quote of the day: Rock n' Roll came from the slaves singing gospel in the fields. Their lives were hell and they used music to lift out of it, to take them away. That's what rock n' roll should do - take you to a better place. Meat Loaf Song of the day: Rock and Roll Dreams Come True Meat Loaf

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A new dawn.....a new day

Two Hearts Are Better Then One

Greetings from Geralyn